Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The last week before departure: Munich

Last week I took a 6 hour crash course from Michael Frank, managing director of M.Project, who stuffed my head full of information. We then flew to London and took a bus and train down to Uckfield, headquarters of International Animal Rescue (IAR) to meet with Alan Knight and Interview him.

The interview turned out surprisingly well despite my making several technical mistakes. The composition was good, the sound was clear. Alan does a good interview speaking concisely and forcefully. It was a great start. Pictures and other film footage from I.A.R.'s projects in India and Indonesia gave me some ideas of how I could proceed there.

We then spent the night in London with our friends Radford and Nicole. The following day I followed memories from 10 years ago through the streets of the City where I'd worked for two months as a motorcycle courier, walking from London Bridge, over Tower Bridge, past the tower of London, up Holborn to Covent Gardens. On Monmouth street I found the coffee shop which I remembered serving the best coffee in London. Then it was down to Trafalger Square to the Texas Embassy Cantina where I'd worked as a bartender, through Queen's Park to Victoria station where we caught a bus back to Stanstead and a Ryanair flight to Duesseldorf - total time from Germany to the U.K. and back: 40 hours.

We're doing a lot of air travel. Since there are direct connections between pollution, habitat destruction, decline of biodiversity etc. it seems counterproductive to travel so much but networking requires human contact across the globe. There are levels of communication that are difficult to achieve via email.

We spent the night in Bochum and took a car Cologne where Michael took a look at the footage I'd shot in Uckfield, filled my aching head with still more information and then we took off for Munich.

Just came home from the Tropical Disease Institute where we took a Tuberculoses Test. We've gone through a battery of immunizations, required by International Animal Rescue mostly to insure the safety of the animals we'll be working with.

I'm gathering all the extra equipment I might need during filming, extra battery pack, portable hard drive, separate camera level to replace the one on the tripod which broke etc.

I've purchased the book 'Shut up and Shoot' by Anthony G. Artis and am looking forward to doing a little reading. It seems to have some good tips and tricks. It also has a picture of the Panasonic DVX100 on the cover - my camera. That gives me a good feeling.

1 comment:

Ethan Reitz said...

hehe. Yeah... you could say that! Actually IAR is mostly concerned with those diseases which are common to primates such as TB, HepC, HIV etc.

So far I haven't bit any animals... don't like fur in my mouth :)